Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I got lost on the subway yesterday.
Well, not ON the subway per se--while I was sitting on the rock-hard orange plastic seats I was fine--but rather in the contorted concrete warren that constitutes the Philadelphia subway system.
I got out of the subway car and followed the crushing mass of people, you know how you do, and suddenly the other people were gone and I had no idea where I was. I followed the old tagged signs that pointed me toward Suburban Station, but after about ten minutes of solid walking (through a tunnel that neatly approximated the inmate's "last walk" in The Green Mile) I decided that the signs were either too old to be of use or deliberately deceitful. Lies, all lies. Well, that and construction.
To make a long story slightly shorter, I eventually escaped, but I felt like a character in a video game--mapping where I'd been before, finally realizing that I was under where I usually walked. I escaped with enough time to feed the pigeons by the City Hall fountain before catching the train home.
I thought I would have to spend time and energy and breadcrusts to convince the pigeons to come to me, but this has proven not to be the case (what can I say, I'm from Missouri. I'm not sure if we have pigeons; maybe we just call them something else--"dinner," in certain parts of the state). They'll eat right out of your hand.
I have considered, though not seriously, catching a pigeon. I don't know what I'd do with it. Probably just let it go again, as I can't imagine pigeons making very good pets.

No comments: