Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Classes start tomorrow; two German Studies classes for me, ja? Ja. Tuesdays and Thursdays are going to be my big fat German days. The MWF, incongrously enough, will be days of Organic Chemistry and Essay Writing. Maybe I'll write an essay about aldehyde synthesis. Or maybe I'll just shoot someone instead of running the risk of boring them to death slowly and painfully, much like this blog is probably doing now (did I tell you about how I thought I would never be the type of person to write in a blog and bore other people with the mundane minutiae of my life, especially considering the fact that more than 50% of the world's population has never even made a PHONE CALL, and I should be using my incredibly large portion of the planet's material and monetary resources much less profligately? Guilt.)

I went for a run this afternoon and thought about how the law of conservation of mass is really shorthand for the law of conservation of energy, and how the universe is a closed system. Everything in you--every carbon atom, every nitrogen, everything--was at one point a component of something else. And when you breathe, or pee, or die, or just stand around (considering the rate at which we're all shedding skin cells), part of you becomes part of the rest of the world--a tree, or a high-rise apartment complex, or ME. So you could look at it as "whatever is gained somewhere is lost somewhere else," which is true; for plants to gain the nitrogen they need, animals and other plants have to perish and decay--OR, you could look at it not as a matter of gaining or losing, but of a Oneness sustaining itself, and lose yourself in the messy but precise order of the Universe.

No comments: