Sunday, July 23, 2006




















This is my kitten--not really a kitten anymore, but that's still what I call her. Her name is Stella, since she's always the star of the show, and here you can see her lounging in the linen closet. She doesn't go in there very often, because we usually keep the doors tightly shut. When she does get in, she usually pees--as cats love to do.
And so, apropos of nothing, and because I've had a good day that has enhanced my feelings of gratitude, here's a list of things I love--to balance the lists of things that piss me off.

1. Watching David Attenbourough-narrated nature documentaries. "Here we see the elusive lorikeet in his natural surroundings..." I wish there were some way to indicate accents in writing, like some variant of italicization. French would be cursive, of course, all run together, while German letters would be square-ish and hard. See what I mean? Wouldn't that be cool?
2. The first cigarette of the day. I love the smell of nicotine in the morning. Smells like...addiction.
3. Candlelight masses late on Christmas Eve and early, early on Easter morning.
4. Robin Williams. Not in his Disney-movie guise, though Mrs. Doubtfire was pretty funny and reminds me of elementary school. No, I'm talking about his stand-up comedy, full of F-bombs and smart, incisive social commentary. Also dirty jokes. The man is insane, and it's lovely. Stand up comedy in general makes me happy. Eddie Izzard, Margaret Cho, Elvira Kurt. It's all good.
5. Loath though I am to admit it, I love Depakote ER. My anti-crazy pills. I've thought of making a shirt that has the molecular structure of valproic acid (Depakote) on it--I already have serotonin earrings.
6. Animals! Ok, more specifically, mammals--because spiders and mosquitos are technically animals, and I'm not fond of them. But just about any mammal--lions, cervals, dogs, horses, mice, meerkats...I dig them all.
7. Old-school slang. What it is! Get hip to what's goin' down, cats and kittens. Don't slip me that jive, turkey, just groove on the outrageousness of your existence. Dig it!
8. Nature. Ok, easy target--doesn't everybody say they love nature? Yeah. I know I'm a city girl, and I love stomping around downtown, but every so often I just have to get out somewhere where I can see the stars and hang out with the deer and listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Cicada Choir and not worry about getting hit by cars while I'm running.
9. Bread right out of the oven--and none of this frozen breadsticks bullshit. So few people get to experience fresh-baked bread nowadays (yes, I realize I just sounded 87 years old). But when I pull out a loaf of ciabatta and it steams when I cut it and the 60-percent olive oil spread melts as soon as it touches the crumb...or. gas. mic.
10. A broad category--makin' stuff. It's my best thing. I sew, I knit, I draw, I paint, I make jewelry, I make cards...If I weren't going to medical school, I would definitely be making a career out of makin' stuff--whether it be books, or greeting cards, or clothes, or oil paintings. Yeah.

2 comments:

Michael M. said...

I've been watching a lot of old movies this summer, and reading as much old pulp fiction as I can get my hands on. Listening and reading, the slang harkens back to a more melodramatic time: How can we compare the animal intensity of "Cats" with "peeps," the yellow marshmallow thingies at Easter? Anyways, it's great to hear you'll be back at Cornell.

Kelsey said...

Great seeing you so engaged and happy!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks for coffee/picnic/etc. Can't wait to get back to Ithaca.