Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Dubious Achievements

Esquire magazine (to which my house has a subscription) does a story every January on "dubious achievements of the year." In that spirit, I thought I'd take the opportunity to catalogue my own achievements, dubious and otherwise.

1. I got a girlfriend, and had sex for the first time in...well, let's just say a long time.

2. I drove from Kansas City to St. Louis, alone, without getting lost (amazing considering my shitty sense of direction. I can get lost in a large department store, no joke).

3. I survived a total of two months in the hospital.

4. I sustained a sourdough starter for over a month (the spongy mess that gives sourdough bread its great flavor).

5. I also survived the MCAT, and got a kick-ass score.

6. I had a window (a heavy one...this house was built in 1911) slam shut on my hand, and was stuck for several minutes before someone came and helped me get it out.

7. I went out and had my first drink in a bar--with Amina and Pete, at the Chapter House. It was an Ithaca Brewing Company Apricot Wheat. Delicious.

8. I managed to develop crushes on two of my professors simultaneously. I got A's in both their classes (actually, an A+ in one of them), probably because I was so damn attentive and conscientious ("Could I drop by your office hours again today?").

9. I briefly quit smoking.

10. I went on a tour of the Cayuga Lake wine trail, and came back from all the tastings thoroughly sloshed.

11. I became a columnist for a 'spiritual seekers' website.

12. I read an 800 page book--for the record, it was "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. A fantastic read that I highly recommend.

13. I learned to do knitting stiches other than the stocking stitch. A step up (in the world of knitting, anyhow).

No comments: