Monday, November 19, 2007

The pneumonia now cleared from my system (thanks, Z-pack! Thanks, doctor who was willing to prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic because no one does outpatient sputum cultures!), I have...a cold. Not a bad cold, yet...it's that first little bit of a cold, the foreplay of a cold (but much less fun than traditional foreplay). Thank God I'm not a hypochondriac or anything, with all the furor over Adenovirus-14.

So I'm taking zinc gluconate (the only form double-blind studied for treatment of rhinoviruses), bulking up on the vitamin C (yeah, the 'proof' for its efficacy is equivocal, but I still believe Linus Pauling...OK, maybe it can't cure cancer, but oranges do taste good) and drinking an herbal tea that's a mix of lots of botanicals that are good for such infections. Totally unproven. So you see my approach to illness runs the gamut from well-proven to witch-doctory.

What's that? You want to know what's in the tea? OK, I'll tell you, but first let me say (duh) I'm not a doctor; I don't even play one on TV since Kate Walsh edged me out for the spot on Grey's Anatomy. Thus, I'm not advocating that you go to your local co-op and buy loose herbs to make this mix, nor am I suggesting you put it in a tea ball and steep it for 3 to 5 minutes. And I will certainly not warn you that it tastes like ass, and that it will require the liberal application of honey or Splenda or whatever your sweetner of choice is. Talk to a qualified herbalist before you start drinking weird stuff, tell your doctor what you're taking, and be especially careful if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. OK. Enough with the equivocation.

Holistic Cold Killer
Comfrey, Catnip, Cayenne, Hyssop, Horehound, Licorice, Mugwort, Sage, Yarrow, Peppermint and Cinnamon. Go easy on the hyssop and sage, f'real.

No comments: