Thursday, January 31, 2008

Normally this would be time for Things that Piss Me Off (tm), as I realized recently I haven't done one of those in a while. However, I'm trying to be more positive (no, that wasn't my New Year's resolution, exactly, but kind of) and so let's try Weird/Eclectic Things I Like. Then I have something to bitch about, which will sort of even out the disturbance in The Force.

1. "New Soul" by Yael Naim--which you know as the Mac Air song. "I'm a new soul came into this strange world hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take...but since I came here, felt the joy and the fear, finding myself making every possible mistake..." She's French-Israeli. Can you think of a more gorgeous combination? Because I can't. I love her voice.
2. Diet Dr. Pepper. I like this even better than I like diet Coke. If I were being executed and got to pick my last meal, I would have a diet Dr. Pepper and vodka to drink. Also, now that I think of it, Cheez-its, Planter's Cheese Balls, Waldo Pizza's Vegetarian pizza...I would plan to explode when they turned the electric chair on, basically, showering everyone with all the food I didn't eat during my lifetime because I was being 'good.' Cherry cheesecake. Oh, God, Reese's peanut butter cups--no, actually, Reese's FastBreak. Butterfinger. Saag paneer! Vegetable korma! Bombay lentils! Why no meat? I mean, if I'm saying to hell with it and eating whatever I want, why not? Well, I'm assuming I must have done something pretty shitty to get executed (then again, considering the justice system, maybe not) and I wouldn't need any more bad karma on my balance sheet. Speaking of, "Last Meal" by Jacquelyn Black is a book of photographs of the last meals of 40 death-row inmates that's really worth checking out.
3. The show "American Dad." True, it's sort of like Family Guy redux sometimes, but it's still hilarious.
4. Sleeping. Been tired lately.
5. Coffee with 2 packets of splenda, a splash of skim milk, and a dash of cinnamon. Or chai (yum).
6. Today, especially the following people (who shall remain without last names for their own protection, and so the people I know who share first names can forever wonder if I meant them): Amy, Amina, Nathan, Jenni, Linda, Mary Beth, Regan, Kirsten, Paula, Suzanne, Keegan, Addie, Brook, Julie, Yohanna, Lisa, Andie and Sarah.
7. That it seems like McCain is coming to the front. Don't get me wrong, I don't want another Republican in office, but of all the conservatives in the field, I think he has the least 'eff-everything-up' potential. Giuliani would've been ok, but Huckabee and Romney? "I don't believe in evolution" indeed. Yeah, science and faith are mutually exclusive--if you're incapable of complex thought.
8. Tool. I came upon their music again recently. I'd forgotten how much I like it, a little treat like when you find a fiver in the pocket of the pants you're about to wash. Bonus.
9. The word "idiopathic," which sounds really knowledgeable and cool, but is actually just a medically and legally acceptable way to say, "We don't know what the hell is causing this." Use it in another context for extra fun!

The bitching will come later. Oh, wait, I guess I did manage to get some in.

No comments: