Sunday, April 13, 2008

Poetry class

I came across notes from a poetry calss I took my freshman year of college, and was astounded to be recall how very very insane my instructor was, and to further note that I took down several of her crazier quotations in my notebook, viz:
(To us, a class of 18-year-olds, on an elderly poet she knew who died in the bed of a much younger woman who was, it must be said, not his wife): "People die during sex quite often. I'd stay away from it if I were you."
(On Van Gogh, and artistic madness in general): "It's better that he was depressed and painted than that he was just depressed."

Also from that notebook, a few poems that are halfway worth something (and quite a few that are not). First, an acrostic:

Follow the path
Out of the woods, but beware of the
Raw loneliness that will greet you as you
Trespass on the plains.
Use information
Newly learned to solve the dilemma that will
Emerge on Thursday. Be

Careful not to bound up stairs two at a time,
Or you will show your hand, your
Outrageous ambition.
Keep your opinions to yourself;
It's easier to keep quiet than to regain a love
Estranged.
-AG

No comments: