Thursday, June 12, 2008

Turns out your grandma was right about cod liver oil.

So--it's not just a fish story. Ha ha (no, seriously, I'm sorry. I just couldn't help myself). The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil have significant antidepressant properties--in some cases, they're superior to actual prescription antidepressant medications. There's increasing evidence they may have a role in the treatment of bipolar disorder and other affective disorders too (cyclothymia--which is like "bipolar lite;" all the flavor, half the psychosis! and dysthymia, chronic low-grade depression: imagine being 15 years old again, but all the time, forever). Is it just me, or has this been insufficiently publicized? Gee, could it have anything to do with blockbuster sales of SSRIs? I can't help thinking that if Pfizer or AstraZeneca had managed to patent fish (don't look at me like that--there are breeds of transgenic mice that are patented), every other Newsweek article would be singing the praises of the glorious golden liquid that is fish oil. Of course, Mrs. Paul's fishsticks would also be 20 bucks a box--assuming you had insurance.

No comments: