Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So is vegetarianism a feminist position?

And what if it's not anymore?
A NY Times article about the long and weird relationship between feminism, vegetarianism/veganism, and the current post-modern attempt to sell veganism by selling out women (see: any PETA ad featuring half-naked women, or the strip club mentioned in the article that doesn't have meat on the the menu, but definitely still treats women as, you know, hunks of flesh). The theorist mentioned in the article, Carol J. Adams, came to speak at Cornell while I was there...I remember being slightly confused by some of her arguments (ie, that during the 7os women said, "I don't want to be a piece of meat, I'm not going to eat a piece of meat." To me, the main connection between the two movements is 1) the general liberal progressive movement often encompasses members of both and 2) Eco-feminism, really more of a 60s and 70s thing, equated the "nurturing presence" of women and the earth, and strove to preserve both by living lightly on the land and celebrating the power of these two entities generally considered vulnerable to exploitation: women and the environment).
Any thoughts? And I promise I'll shut up about the vegetarianism soon enough.

No comments: