Thursday, September 11, 2008

I went home to Kansas City last weekend, and I have to say it was nice to get out of Dodge for a while (though, ironically, Kansas City is actually much closer--geographically--to Dodge than where I'm currently residing). I needed to get away from ion channels and thoracoacromial arteries and patent ductus venosus and tyrosine kinases and carotid bruits and all the rest. I needed to be a person and not just a student for a while. This is an interesting trend, because in my undergrad days (before I took a year to be "a regular person") I would have felt little to no pull to do that--quite the opposite, in fact. So maybe that year did more to make me a 'well-rounded person' (rather than solely a person with a well-rounded head, which is to say an egghead) than I thought.

I went to the Greek festival with my parents, which is always kind of a big deal in KC, and especially among the Orthodox community (of which my 'rents are a part). I watched the little kids do their ethnic dances, ate some tiropita (cheese triangles) spanakopita (if you don't know what that is, I feel truly sorry for you--spinach, cheese and phyllo pastry), dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with rice and spices--and sometimes meat) and to top it all off: what else? Baklava. And of course some beer, because if there isn't alcohol of one kind or another it's not a Greek gathering. Interestingly, I've never had retsina, but I've heard so many people talk about getting sick from drinking it that even the mention of the word makes me feel a little queasy.

My parents also bought me a beautiful cross necklace (Celtic, oddly enough) at the church's bookstore--the whole thing is held at the big Greek church in KC. I've been wearing it, and when I need to remind myself that there's a place where I'm still just a person, without lists of things to memorize...I wrap my fingers around it.

No comments: