Thursday, January 01, 2009

In celebration of the new year, a list of some of the best advice I've ever received.

By no means complete, but interesting all the same.

Sometimes you've just got to say, "fuck it." --Deb Linderblood, a dietitian at the EDU, on what to do when the battle in my head just won't wind down. It became our code, for instance when I was staring warily at a huge dessert that was part of my meal plan...

When you're done peeing, what do you do? Shake your dick off. When you're done pumping gas, what do you do? Shake your dick off. --Amina Omari, describing how to get those last precious drops off the nozzle

That high-speed, slumped-over walk you do on campus? That's the dork walk. Slow down. --Amina Omari again

Oh, honey, don't mix red with white!--Suzanne Guthrie, some years ago, on wine consumption and the probable consequences of having shiraz and chardonnay in the same evening. Believe it or not, we were having dinner with a bunch of kick-ass nuns at the time.

The thing that is important is the thing that is not seen. --Antoine de St. Exupery

"Are you like this about everything?"
"Like what?" (me)
"Do you have to control everything in the world?"--Taryn Mattice on letting go

It's not the things I've gone and done/ I'll regret or be ashamed/ but the things I did not say or do/ because I was afraid --Carrie Newcomer

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. --the Bible, somewhere, via Elizabeth Peters

I want you to breathe. You look like you're not breathing. --Beth Parker

Anxiety is excitement without breath. Breathe. --Lucinda Ramberg (anyone noticing a pattern?)

Think outside the mouth! --Suzanne Guthrie again, yay!

Moshe says you're not a failure. --Addie L-Z, my best pal. It's an inside joke.

Do not multiply entities beyond necessity. --Sir Occam; his razor specifically. Good advice for philosophy, even better advice for writing. Someone needs to have a talk with the biochem faculty about this.

Never negotiate from a place of desperation. --Niccolo Machiavelli (So was he saying always always have some dirt on the other person that you can use for leverage, or was he advocating taking a .45 in a calf holster to the bargaining table?)

People here stress themselves out so much. They use the word 'fail' all the time--'I'm going to fail, I'm going to fail!' Well, I've come up with a nice rhyme to address that. It's easy--if you fail, you go to Kahl. --N. G. with another inside joke

1 comment:

Tracy Crowe Jones said...

Is this is "Beth Parker" who is now a therapist in Columbia, MO?