Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm not usually super-forward about being of the Christian persuasion (I'm probably more out about my gayness than I am about my Christianity), for two reasons:
1) I hate the idea that people might automatically assume I am the same 'brand' of Christian as Pat Robertson, or James Dobson, or for that matter the Pope (who, God help me, I still think looks a lot like Senator Palpatine from the Star Wars movies)...'cause in fact I'm pro-choice, anti-death penalty, feminist, sex-positive...
2) My views could perhaps be better explained as Quaker/Episcopalian/Wiccan/Buddhist. I don't know that that makes me un-Christian; maybe I'm just not a very good Christian.

But I received in my email inbox an invite to the Christian Medical Association's first meeting this year (I attended briefly last year) and the focus of discussion is going to be on processing the first-years' initial experiences with their cadavers in anatomy. And I started to thinking--for all the anti-body, 'Satanic urges of the flesh' B.S. that's been appended to Christianity over the years, it is at its core a profoundly embodied religion. The center--the lynchpin--of the faith is the physical death, and later physical resurrection, of a facet of God. The most sacred of the sacraments is communion, a physical meeting of God with human--an act of ingestion. The very definition of 'sacrament,' according to the church, is "an outward and physical sign of an inward, invisible grace." The body is described as 'fearfully and wonderfully made' in the Psalms, not as a dirty thing to be denigrated or ignored. The Jews, to be honest (even with the observation of restrictions like niddah) are much more body-comfy than Christians are: be fruitful and multiply is a requirement, not an 'extra.' Rabbis should be married--a much more reasonable position, to my mind, than requiring priests to be celibate. Just doing a little thinking. It doesn't seem coincidental that a disproportionate number of the women I've met in eating disorders treatment have been Catholic...again, just thinking.

1 comment:

NG said...

Keep yur jeebus in the closet.