Thursday, August 06, 2009

So the story cuntinues. HA!

I'm feeling dispirited. I'm certain this is NOT the etymology I remember from Ms. Muscio, which was empowering and kick-ass, while this one is tepid and passive, akin to the (very real) origin of the word 'vagina,' which is ancient Latin and means 'sheath for a sword.' I'll keep pointy bits away from my genitalia, thanks.

So I went further, and typed "cunt etymology" into Google, praying to the good Lord that the inclusion of the second word would decrease my probability of being swamped by the nastier sites associated with the first. And, lo and behold, I found this. It's convincing, but not as convincing as Barbara Walker's entry in "The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets," which, coincidentally, is another fantastic book very much worth owning. It says that 'cunt,' far from being a slur, was originally a word of positive power, a title of respect; furthermore, it
-comes from the same root as county, kin and kind.
-is related to cunning, kenning, and ken (ken=Brit-ism for 'know')
-is, and here I quote Walker directly, "Derivative of the Great Goddess as Cunti, or Kunda, the Yoni of the universe."

A far cry from something you'd see scrawled on a bathroom wall, no?

1 comment:

Keith said...

Yet more interesting etymology!

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=cunt